Mahars have a long and proud tradition of of bearing arms, They were the respected members of Shivaj's and later of the Maratha armies. After the British trained and drilled Indian Infantry was formed in the early 19th century, Mahars formed part of the Bombay Presidency Aemy. They had particularly distinguished themselves in the battle for the defence of Koregaon in 1818. A Mahar battalion was raised in 1917 and took part in the Great War but was later merged with another regiment. Between the two wars, the Mahars and persistently sought a regiment for themselves for service in the army. These efforts, marked by the quality and level of arguments advanced by the Mahar leader, Dr BR Ambedkar, resulted in the Mahar Regiment being raised in 1941. The Regiment fought in Burma, Persia and Iraq in the second Wrold War. In 1946, the Regiment converted to the specialist role of fielding medium machine guns, and for a decade and a half rendered most effective support in combat. The men carried the heavy weapons in every terrain and never failed to hold their front in defence.
During the disturbed conditions in the aftermath of partition, the Regiment helped in the safe transfer of lakhs of refugees, in the face of violent armed mobs. In 1956, the Regiment absorbed three battalions of the Border Scouts, which had been earlier raised for manning the disturbed Punjab border. The class composition of the Regiment changed over the years, to accept men from all states and classes while retaining basic Mahar composition in some battalions. The Regimental Badge is a pair of crossed Vickers medium machine guns with a dagger. The Regimental Motto is Yash Siddhi (Success and Attainment). The
Regimental Centre is located at Saugor, Madhya Pradesh.
Punjab & Kashmir 1947-48, Ladakh 1962, AsaI Uttar, Jaurian Kalit,, Kalidhar, Tilakpur-Muhadipur, Sehjra, Harar Kalan,Parbat Ali, Thanpir and Shamsher Nagar.