The College of Military Engineering (CME) at Pune is a premier technical and tactical training institution of the Corps of Engineers encompassing the four pillars viz. Combat Engineers, Military Engineering Service, Border Roads Organisation and Survey. Surrounded by green hills and located at the confluence of Mutha and Mula Rivers, Pune was developed by the Britishers as an Indian Army town in the 19th century. The erstwhile School of Military Engineering (SME) established in Sep 1943 at Roorkee moved to its present location at Pune in 1948. In view of the increased responsibilities and in keeping with the higher status of the Degree Engineering Courses being conducted by the School, it was redesignated as CME in Nov 1951.