Today the Nation stands proud, because of those
heroes who sacrificed their lives for the Mother Land in the Highest
Traditions of the Indian Army”.
"WE SALUTE THEM"
MEMORIAL - WELLINGTON
War Memorial - 1958
Consequent to the
decision to construct a suitable memorial in memory of the martyrs
of the Regiment, the Govt of India allotted 982 sqaure feet of land
to the MRC at Wellington Cantonment on 23 Mar 1949.
The construction of
the memorial was initiated by Lt Col (Later Lt Gen) RS Noronha, MC*,
the then Centre Commandant. The total out lay then was Rs 12,000 and
it was inaugurated on 01 October 1951 by Lt Gen(Later COAS) SM
Srinagesh, the then Col of the Regt. In 1953, it was made circular
and rendered more ornate with artistic pillars linked by a festooned
War Memorial - 1974
The War memorial
has been renovated from time to time. It has a rectangular stone
plinth of 33 feet x 22 feet surmounted by another rectangular
marbled pillar of 19 feet x 14 feet. Above this is the dedication
stone cube with sides of 8 feet each. On the Eastern face of the
memorial is a Brass Plate where in the roll of honour of world War
II is engraved. Names of Martyrs of subsequent wars are engraved on
the plates on the other three sides.
War Memorial - 2009
Regimental War Memorial stands proudly at cross road junction right
at the Entrance of Defence Services Staff College where eleven roads
converge. The majestic monument, covered by a circular kerb with
flower garden, immediately attracts the attention of any passer-by.
During night, with focus lights, it presents a spectacular view.
Panjal War Memorial (Hemon Buniyar)
to the decision to construct a suitable memorial in
memory of the martyrs of the Regiment, the Govt of India
allotted 982 sqaure feet of land to the MRC at
Wellington Cantonment on 23 Mar 1949.
Erstwhile Memorial Constructed
by 19 MADRAS
Re-constructed Pir Panjal War Memorial
was reconstructed and named as Pir Panjal War Memorial, keeping with
the rich legacy of the formation. Lt Gen (Now Gen and COAS) Deepak
Kapoor, AVSM, SM, VSM inaugurated it on 16 Mar 2006. It comprises of
six regimental columns adorned in red Kota sandstone with granite
enfacing recording the saga of the inf regts and other units. The
centerpiece of the Memorial is the wall that forms the backdrop. The
wall is covered by posters containing battle accounts of landmark
battles fought by units of the brigade.
Madras Regiment War Memorial dedicated to Lt Col CPA
Menon, MC of 1 MADRAS and all those Officers, JCOs & Jawans whose
valour remains unmatched in the Defence of Kashmir in 1947 - 48.
better describe the oneness and unity of India than the fact that
South Indians should fight the North Indians’ war of liberation. I
have been anxious for many months to convey my feelings to the
people of the south. In the war in Kashmir our brothers from the
south have taken a leading part, they have fought tenaciously and
valiantly and although unused to the severities of a cold climate,
they have held their posts on top of high snow covered cliffs and
mountains with a courage which has won them the admiration of the
whole Kashmir people. The role of the unknown soldier in the war in
Kashmir has truly been of the MADRASSI foot soldier. The people of
Kashmir will never forget the help they have received from their
brothers of the south.”
(In his message to
the then Madras Govt, paying tribute to the Madras Infantryman’s
role in the liberation of Kashmir)
“In remembrance of
all the brave men of Travancore Army who laid down their lives in
defeating the superior Dutch forces during the Battle of Colachel in
Brigade of the Travancore Army completely exterminated the superior
and better equipped Dutch Forces which landed at Colachal in July
1741 during the reign of Anizham Thirunal Veera Bala Marthanda Varma.
In the battle of Colachal, Capt Eustace De Lanoy, the Dutch Naval
Forces Commander was captured. In order to commemorate this great
victory of the Travancore Army over the Dutch at Colachel, the
Travancore Government installed the Colachel Pillar at the very spot
where the Dutch had capitulated to the Maharaja of Travancore. The
Colachel Pillar stands 17 feet high and has a radius of four feet.
It has conch at the top of the pillar and on its base the following
words are inscribed in memory of the fallen brethren during the
Capt De Lanoy of Dutch Forces surrendering before His Highness
Maharaja Marthanda Varma, 1741 AD
On 22/23 September
1965, Ichhogil Bund was captured by the 9th battalion of Madras
Regiment, in a fierce hand-to-hand fight. The fight ended with the
annihilation of approximately two Pakistani companies which
attempted to re-occupy the eastern bund of Ichhogil Canal. In
commemoration of this heroic battle, a war memorial was erected at
Barka Kalan by the Indian Army. All the martyrs of ‘TERRORS’ who
laid down their lives for the izzat of the paltan are remembered by
all men of ‘TERRORS’ every year during the Barki Day by laying
wreath at the memorial.