1. Awarded for services rendered with the Armed Forces under active service conditions or conditions akin thereto. Where appropriate, a clasp for each operation shall be instituted by the President.
2. Officers and men and women of all ranks of the Army, the Navy and the Air Force, of any of the Reserve Forces, of the Territorial Army, of Indian State Forces, Militia and of any other lawfully constituted Armed Forces.
3. Matrons, Sisters, Nurses and the Staff of the Nursing Services and other services pertaining to Hospitals and Nursing.
4. Civilians on the authorized establishment of a unit/formation of Armed Forces or Indian State Forces, who are (a) Enrolled or (b) Uniformed or (c) Liable for general service.
5. An individual qualifying for the Medal for the first time shall be awarded the Medal together with a clasp indicating the particular operation for which it is awarded. For all subsequent operations for which the issue of a clasp is approved, only the Clasp indicating the particular operation shall be awarded. The Bar of the Clasp shall have the name or the place of the Operation engraved on it.
CLASPS ATTACHED TO GENERAL SERVICE MEDAL