1. Awarded for distinguished service of the most exceptional order during war/conflict/hostilities.
2. All ranks of the Army, the Navy and the Air Force including those of Territorial Army Units, Auxiliary and Reserve Forces and other lawfully constituted Armed Forces when embodied.
3. Nursing Officers and other members of the Nursing Services in the Armed Forces.
4. The medal may be awarded posthumously.
Bar To The Medal
5. If a recipient of the medal is subsequently awarded the medal again, every such further award shall be recognized by a Bar to be attached to the riband by which the medal is suspended. For every such Bar, a miniature insignia of a pattern approved by the Government shall be added to the riband when worn alone.