The Regt Centre traces its origin to 10th Bn the 2nd PUNJAB Regt which was converted into the Trg Bn in 1922, given the resp of trg rects for all bns of the Regt and loc at Multan. The Trg Bn, thereafter mov to Meerut in 1929. The bn was converted into the 2nd PUNJAB Regt Centre in 1940. After indep, the Regt dropped the prefix `2nd’ and the Centre was designated as the The Punjab Regt Centre. The Centre mov to its present loc at Ramgarh Cantt (Jharkhand) in Mar 1976.
The exact origin of the name of Ramgarh is shrouded in mystery. However, the geography and folklore throw some light on it. It is said that the Dravidians came on to live here. They chose the bank of the Damodar River which flows close by for their habitation. Since they were wandering people, they moved around in the forest for food. At night they used to sleep on the banks of the Damodar River. The place where they lived was initially named as `RUMGARH'. The word `RUM' in local dialects means "To Wander About". Later the word `RUM' was pronounced as 'RAM' and accordingly the place was named as `RAMGARH'.
This history of Ramgarh dates back to pre-historic period as the place finds importance in the great epics of the country. Accordingly from such epics, King Jarasandh invaded the place and brought Ramgarh under his subjugation. Thus it can be concluded that Ramgarh was in existence even during the `Mahabharata' period.
Ashoka the Great, also ruled over the entire `Chhotanagpur Region'. Thus it is clear that even during the rule of `Maurya Dynasty', Ramgarh was in existence (273-232 BC).
As per the historians, soon after the fall of `Gupta Dynasty', a king in `Chhotanagpur' was to be nominated. Madra Munda of Kanke near the present Ranchi was crowned as the king of `Chhotanagpur' and thus `Munda Rule' was established in the region.
Later in 1368, Bagdev Singh formed a separate state known as `Ramgarh - Raj' and crowned himself as the First King of Ramgarh. King Hemant Singh of the same dynasty was nominated as the sixth King of Ramgarh.
King Akbar ordered the invasion of `Chhotanagpur Region' in 1585 and Ramgarh came under the direct `Muslim Rule '. At that time, Ramgarh was a parent District.
The British came in contact with Ramgarh in 1769. They made Ramgarh theirmilitary base to repulse the constant onslaught of the `Marathas'. Ramgarh was greatly influenced by the `Santhal Revolt' in Bhagatpur during 1855-56.
8. When the `Maratha' power started rising, the Maratha King Madhav Rao made Ramgarh his target of attack to bring entire `Chhotanagpur' under his domination. When the British came to know of his intention, they appointed Captain Camac in 1771 as the first Military Collector of the Ramgarh District to defeat Madhav Rao. During this period, King Mukund Singh was the ruler of Ramgarh who was unwilling to pay any revenue to British Regime. As a result, the Britishers were not on good terms with King Mukund Singh.
Taking advantage of the situation, the ruler of Chhotanagpur, King Darpan Sahi hatched a conspiracy with the British to defeat Mukund Singh. Mukund Singh was defeated by Lt Godard. Capt Chapman succeeded Lt Godard in 1780. Capt Chapman established the Ramgarh battalion and abolished the post of Collector in Ramgarh in the year 1800.
The founder of the `Brahmo Samaj' and great social reformer, Raja Ram Mohan Rai was at Ramgarh between 1805 to 1806. He stayed at the residence of Executive Magistrate and Registrar of Ramgarh, Mr. William Digby. In 1833, Ramgarh was brought under `West Frontier Agency'. On 16 July 1882, East India suggested to Captain Wilkinson, Officiating Political Agent South, that `West Frontier Agency' raise a battalion to be located at Ramgarh town. The Ramgarh battalion was made responsible for repulsing the revolts against the British regime.
In March 1940, the 'Fifty Third Session of Indian National Congress', was held at Ramgarh in which Maulana Abul Kalam Azad was the President.
Ramgarh is a Distt HQ. The population of Ramgarh Town is approximately 1,10,000.