GUARDS REGIMENTAL CENTRE
The origin of the Guards Regimental Centre dates back to 06 Jun 1950, with the formation of a Guards Training Company at the Rajputana Rifles Training Centre at Delhi cantonment. With the conversion of 1,2,3 and 4 GUARDS by Aug 1952, the demand for trained soldiers increased. On 01 Dec 1954, the Training Company was re-designated as The Guards Training Wing. As further expansion was on the cards, the need for a separate Regimental Centre was soon felt. The Centre became operative at Kota, Rajasthan on 11 Jun 1956, where it remained till 1976. A training wing of the Parachute Regiment was formed at Kota under the Brigade of The Guards Training Centre. The Para wing left Kota to join its own training centre at Agra on 25 Sep 1963. As per the new policy of re-locating Regimental Centres further away from the international border to the hinterland, The Guards Regimental Centre moved to Kamptee (near Nagpur) in Maharashtra in October 1976. The Guards Regimental Centre has over the years trained personnel of The Parachute Regiment, The Corps of Military Police and Army Postal Service prior to adequate training facilities being made available in their respective training centres.Kamptee CantonmentKamptee cantonment was fully established in 1821 and is one of the oldest cantonments in India. The British had maintained large forces ever since defeating Appa Sahib Bhonsale, in the Battle of Sitabuldi in 1817. The British were consolidating their rule in the South and East those days. The cantonment was originally built for one regiment of British Infantry and three regiments of Indian Cavalry, with separate lines for camels and elephants. In 1858 the cantonment was enlarged to accommodate two batteries of Artillery, one regiment of British Infantry and three regiments of Native Cavalry. In 1889, the Garrison had nine batteries of Artillery, one regiment of British Infantry, two Infantry and one Cavalry regiment of the British Indian Army.Initially the cantonment formed part of Madras Presidency till 1888, and was transferred to Bombay Presidency in 1929. In 1930 only a token force was left and it came under the Jabalpur Brigade. During the Second World War, the Cantonment was completely vacated except for some State Reserve Troops. The Kamptee Municipality was formed later in 1927.Post independence Army Postal Service Centre was one of the first establishments to occupy Kamptee. Other units located here were 52 Company ASC Type A, Military Hospital, an infantry brigade which was subsequently moved out. The National Cadet Corps Officer Training Academy was established here in 1957. The 4 EME Centre was located at Kamptee from 1965 till 1976. The Guards Training Centre was shifted from Kota to Kamptee in Nov 1976. 414 ASC Bn Marketing (TA) was raised and stationed at Kamptee since 1983. Institute of Military Law was shifted from Shimla to Kamptee in 1989. Guards Officers’ MessThis majestic and unique building was constructed in the year 1922 and was 4 EME Centre Officers Mess till 1976 when it became the Guards Officer’s Mess. The basic structure retains its heritage ambience while the interiors have been designed in keeping with the history of the artefacts displayed. The Mess boasts of serene and tastefully laid out guest rooms, amidst aesthetically landscaped lawns. These Guest Rooms have hosted several Chiefs of Army Staff and various high ranking civil and military dignitaries who have complimented the arrangement and hospitality of the Guards Officers’ Mess.Garuda House This 83 years old British Staff Sergeant’s House was constructed in the year 1928 and was once named as ‘Gowala’ House. Over the years it has been tastefully renovated to suit the requirements of its occupants. It was designated as the official house of Commandant 4 EME Centre. The house was designated as the ‘Garuda House’ in 1976 and has ever since housed the Commandant of the Guards Regimental Centre. Jadunath Parade GroundThe area where the parade ground stands today was earlier utilized as firing ranges. The ranges were one each for Native Regiments, British Regiments and the Police Force. It was converted into a parade ground with a majestic fort wall, grand stands, an imposing memorial and saluting base from where raw recruits pass out to become full-fledged accomplished GUARDSMEN to find a befitting place in a GUARDS battalion. Amar Yodha War MemorialThis imposing and serene war memorial was constructed to pay humble tributes to those gallant Guardsmen who have sacrificed their lives for the country. The names of the martyrs are engraved in golden letters on the marble slabs. This memorial occupies a place of pride in our hearts. The marble slabs are engraved with names of martyrs and a hut of remembrance was constructed in 2001 by NMC Chairman Mr. Chandrashekhar. All names of martyrs since June 2001 are recorded in the revered book kept in this memorial. Shaheed Bagh, a park adjoining the Amar Yodha memorial adds ambience to the memorial. A Pakistani Sherman tank destroyed by Nk Nar Bahadur Chhetri, MVC, of 12 GUARDS on 10 December 1971 during the Indo – Pak War in Chhamb sector is placed here to motivate the young GUARDSMEN. Regimental MuseumThe majestic Guards Regimental Centre Museum was constructed at a cost of Rs. 35 lacs and was inaugurated on 1st July 1990 by the then Colonel of The Regiment Maj Gen Shamsher Singh, MVC. The Regimental Museum showcases the rich heritage of the regiment and is a prime source of information to all Guardsmen and the visiting civilians as well. The Museum has been appreciated by a host of visitors and is a major source of motivation for the young minds to join the defence services.War Widows Boys HostelGaruda Boys Hostel for wards of war widows was established in May 1980 with twenty two boys. The hostel focuses on all round development of the child and grooms them to become model citizen of the country. It also affords them an opportunity to join the defence forces. Modern facilities and infrastructure has been augmented in the Boys Hostel over the years through grants and funds from Army Headquarters, the Regimental Centre, Guards Units and other sources.LibraryThe Regimental Centre has a well equipped library cum information room. The building being centrally located and close to the living areas of recruits and other ranks, is now more accessible to all. The reading room has all modern amenities and facilities.OTM AccommodationThe new OTM accommodation started coming up from 1997. Presently all companies including Records are in proper KLP accommodation with modern facilities. JCO’S MessThe Centre has a very elegant and sprawling JCO’s Mess. Though housed in an old building, it has been suitably expanded and renovated over the years to cater for over 100 JCOs for various social activities besides dining. A modern Ante Room and Dining Hall with state of art audio visual equipment are the latest additions.“Ashiyana” InstituteTo cater for the recreational needs of the other ranks posted to the Centre and their families, the OR institute was constructed in 2003. It is one of the most popular places in the Centre for other ranks and families to get-together as also for personal of Guards Unit get-togethers. The construction of VATIKA has enhanced the capacity of hosting members for various occasions. The Institute has a recreational park for the children and in the vicinity has the scenic ANAND VAAN water park and walking plaza alongside.Training Facilities The Centre has both 5.56mm INSAS Rifle and 5.56mm LMG Drona Simulators for training of recruits. The Centre has two Indoor Air Rifle Ranges to train recruits in Air Rifle Shooting and also promotes shooting as a sport amongst the families ad children. An Endurance Training Complex has been created to train recruits in Rock Climbing, Rappelling and Slithering. A CI Ops training area has been created to impart training to recruits as part of CI Ops capsule. The infrastructure facilitates training in house clearance drill, road opening duties, raid on a hideout, beating back a fidayeen attack on a post and fighting through densely wooded areas. The indoor close combat shooting range and assault course was constructed close to the Short Range to give a final touch to recruits undergoing CI training. A trap and skeet range is the latest acquisition and soon young Guardsmen would be in the fore front in the QUEST for an Olympic Gold. Academic Facilities To improve the overall standards of the clerks a Mechanised Forces Clerk Training School has been established. Besides this, training is carried out in the Centre for computer literacy, communication skills and junior leadership courses. Pensioners are imparted with resettlement capsules. Registration for all soldiers at Indira Gandhi National Open University is done at the Regimental Centre.Sports FacilitiesThe Centre has two stadiums, Albert Ekka and Arjuna Stadiums, encompassing an athletic arena, two basketball courts and one volleyball court equipped with flood lights, It provides an opportunity to sportsmen to train late in the evenings to beat the hot and sultry summers of Kamptee. The Centre has adequate sports facilities to include swimming pool, gymnasium, handball court and football grounds. Training companies have a dedicated set of sports fields. An Olympic size swimming pool with adequate facilities exists, besides training recruits, which provides an excellent recreational facility to ladies and children during summers. A Mehtab Singh Boxing Ring with the latest boxing equipment and facilities will be soon functional. A state of art Hawa Singh Gymnasium will also be operational with indoor courts for basketball and badminton, alongside an international specification wooden floor for squash and synthetic surfaced tennis court. Improvement in Quality Of Life
1. To improve the quality of life and standard of living in the Centre the following have been provided :-
(a) “Anand Vaan”. A walking plaza has been created around an artificial lake near the family quarters to enable All ranks to experience a healthier environment. (b) Renovation of shopping complex to provide utilities under one roof with easy accessibility. (c) Installation of cooling sys in the OR Barracks, War Widows Boys Hostel and JCOs Mess.(d) Auditorium is in process of upgradation with installation of air conditioning systems and state of art audio visual systems. (e) Establishment of railway reservation counter, ATM and Mob re-charge counter within the living area. (f) Aqua guards and water coolers have been installed in all cook houses, living area of JCOs and ORs and selected institutes for provision of clean and cool drinking water. (g) Fridges & deep freezers have been provided to all cook hoses to enhance storage facilities. (h) Dosa and idli making machine have been procured to provide variety in food taste. (j) STD booths with refreshment facilities have been established at various place in the Centre so that communication and snacks/cold drinks facilities are available almost at the door step. (l) Fibre Reinforced Plastic (FRP) play ground articles for use by children of all ranks has been established at OR Institute, family quarters and Garuda Shaurya Army Pre School. (m) Portable FRP toilets for use at various functions to ensure total privacy with inbuilt facility of light and water has been procured.. (n) All roads have been tastefully decorated with glow signs, cat eye separators and luminous direction markers. (o) “Kesh”. An air conditioned Hair Dresser shop for all ranks to have a relaxed environment while having a hair cut.
2. Means to Save Time and Effort. To save on time and effort the following eqpt have been procured by the Centre :-
(a) Steam cooking systems, chapatti making machine, potato peeler, vegetable cutter, atta kneading machine, food and chapatti warmer have been established in cook houses.(b) Tractor with accessories for ploughing, light earth moving tasks and carriage.(c) Auto-rickshaw for move of families within the campus.(d) Hand carts for efficient move of light stores.(e) Shrub masters, power lawn mowers, and chain saw machine for clearance of under growth, grass cutting and maintenance of lawns and hedges.(f) Optimizers have been procured for all offices for enhanced storage of office records.