Home->Organisation->Commands->South Western Command->Home
  Organisation

South Western Command
 
History
 

 

The South Western Command was formally raised on 15 April 2005 and Operationalised on 15 August 2005 at ‘Gothic Lines’ at Jaipur Military Station, with the customary Raising Ceremony and hoisting of the Command Flag by the General Officer Commanding-in-Chief.

1 Corps

1 Corps , was raised at Varanasi in Uttar Pradesh. The blooding of 1 Corps took place in the 1965 war.

10 Corps

The erstwhile British 10 Corps was raised in September 1942 in North Africa to spearhead the offensive operations of the 8th Army. 18 and 10 Armd Div and 10 New Zealand Infantry Division Formed part of this formation.

Subsequently, the Corps took Part in the Italian Campaign during 1943-44. In 1944 the Corps was assigned the task to quell the civil war in Greece. In Apr 1945, the Corps was reorganized into independent brigade groups and in May, the same year took part in the final assault of the Po valley. 4 Infantry Division was the only Indian formation which formed part of the order of battle of 10 Corps during the operations against the Mareth Line Defs.

10 Corps was re-raised. On re-raising, the corps adopted the present formation sign which was designed by Lt Gen ML Tuli. The design of the formation sign (CHETAK) of 10 Corps portrays a horse with the torso of a man. The horse with its association with Rajput chivalry is symbolic of mobility and manoeuvre and is shown poised in a bid to spring into action. The torso depicted in a power packed stance of a soldier, launching a spear at the enemy. Taken together, the formation sign depicts instant alertness for aggressive action to face any challenge. The character of this amalgam is symbolic of the optimum readiness of the formation towards the performance of its allotted role.

      
This is the Official Indian Army Web Portal,maintained & managed  by the Indian Army.
Site hosted by NIC.
Last Updated on 28 Jul 2014 Site best viewed in IE 6.0 and above