History of Automation in AOC
1. Automation in AOC commenced in 1968 through a pilot project on Nissan spares at COD Delhi Cantonment with a view to develop software for all major Ordnance procedures. In July 1979 a full fledged EDP Branch was sanctioned with a Remote Job Entry Terminal (RJE-2903) and the hardware was periodically upgraded. A Pentium based Server replaced WIPRO 386 in the year 1999, the depot had automated 57,272 items out of a total inventory of approximately 90,000 items.
Computerised Inventory Control Project
2. The Computerised Inventory Control Project (CICP) was sanctioned in Jul 1994 to design, develop and install an on line inventory management system for the Army Ordnance Corps (AOC). The Pilot Project has been successfully implemented at COD Delhi Cantt and Integrated HQ of MoD (Army) in Oct 2002. It is the first large scale on line automation project of the Army.
3. The role of CICP is to develop an on-line, multi-user inventory management system for echelons from Central Ordnance Depots (COD) to Divisional Ordnance units (DOU) interlinked on Wide Area Network (WAN) and design a Management Information System (MIS) and Decision support system (DSS) for Integrated HQ of MoD (Army/OS Directorate) and related sections of MoD for planning and controlling ordnance inventory functioning.
4. The project is managed by a three tier body comprising of the following:-
(a) Project Management Board (PMB). Chaired by the Defence Secretary with Secretary Defence (Finance), CGDA, MGO, SO-in-C, Chief Advisor DRDO, Additional Secretary, DG OS as members and Additional DGOS (CN&A) as Member Secretary.
(b) Executive Committee. Chaired by Additional Secretary with DGOS, Additional FA, JS (O), Additional CGDA (EDP), Director ECS DRDO, Additional DG OS (CN&A) as `members and DDG OS CICP Technical Group (TG) as Member Secretary.
(c) CICP Technical Group. The CICP Technical Group is headed by DDGOS CICP TG. It functioned with two Task Forces (one each for COD and Integrated HQ of MoD (Army/OS Dte) till 31 Dec 2002. It was reorganised wef 01 Jan 03 into HQ CICP (for balance Ordnance echelons), OSCC (for IHQ of MoD (Army) and Task Force III (for Ammunition inventory automation) and further reorganized into CICP TG wef 01 Oct 06.
5. Phases. To fulfill the assigned role CICP has planned to undertake automation of the complete Corps in three phases as follows:-
(a) Phase-I. The Pilot project involved automation of functions of COD Delhi Cantt and relevant Sections of Integrated HQ of MoD (Army/OS Dte) and MoD based on a custom developed application. The phase was successfully implemented as a turnkey project by M/s. Tata Infotech Ltd in Feb 2002.
(b) Phase-II. This phase comprises of 23 AOC installations including all other CODs, a chain of Ammunition Depots, Vehicle Depots, Aviation Support Depots and Ordnance Unit/Depot of each type as well as interfacing with the intermediate Command and Corps HQs.
(c) Phase-III. This phase involves porting and customisation of the software to the balance AOC installations at all levels.