The genesis of Western Command was in the crucible of adversity and forged on the anvil of one of the most momentous and tragic trans-migrations of human populations into the two new Nations of India and Pakistan. In June 1947, Punjab Boundary Force was set up for both West and East Punjab, comprising units of both Indian and Pakistan Armies. It was disbanded on 15 Sep 1947, with the two nations assuming responsibility for their respective areas. It was then that HQ Delhi and East Punjab Command was raised for the defence of Delhi and East Punjab areas with the Command Headquarters located at Delhi. The Command was Popularly known as the DEP Command and Lieutenant General Dudley Russel, CB, CBE, DSO, MC took over as the first GOC-in-C.
DEP Command was given the role of restoring law and order in riot torn Punjab in the wake of partition. As it entailed constant movement, a special self contained train comprising coaches of the old Viceregal Train was placed at the disposal of HQ DEP Command. The mobile Command Headquarters moved from place to place in Punjab to restore law and order. The Command accomplished its task with elan and dedication resulting in the saving of thousands of lives. DEP Command was redesignated as 'Western Command' on 18 Jan 48 and Lieutenant General (Later Field Marshal) KM Cariappa, OBE was appointed as the Army Commander, who took over the Command as GOC-in-C, Western Command on 20 January 1948.