MEDALS AND DECORATIONS
676. Grant and Issue of Medals and Ribbons. (a) The institution of medal and decoration will be published in Gazette of India and also notified through Army Instructions. Medals will be obtained from the Medal Section, Ministry of Defence and ribbons for medals from the respective ordnance establishments but such demands will not be made until the publication of necessary authority in the Gazette of India/Army Instructions,
(b) Instructions for issue and disposal of medals for gallantry awards will be contained in the AO/AI published at the time. Claims in respect of personnel on active service will be initiated by Record Offices only after they are posted to peace stations. Medals and decorations prescribed by the Central Government to be presented by high dignitaries to the awardees will not be issued.
677. Permission to Wear Medal Ribbons. When the grant of a medal has been notified and the medal rolls submitted to the Medals Section, OsC may authorise all ranks whose names are entered in the rolls to wear the ribbon. Ribbons for medals will be obtained free on demand from the respective ordnance establishments, but such demands will not be made until the publication of necessary authority in the Gazette of India/Army Instructions.
678. Method Of Wearing Ribbons And Medals. Instructions regarding the method of wearing ribbons and medals are contained in Dress Regulations. For the orders of precedence for wearing the various decorations and medals, see para 717.
679. Recommendations for Gallantry Awards-Recommendations for gallantry awards and mention in despatches will be submitted to the Military Secretary, Army Headquarters through proper channels in accordance with IAFZ-3046. In no case will any indication be given to the individual concerned or to a person not directly concerned in an official capacity that a recommendation for an award has been made to a higher authority.
680. Publications Of Awards Of Gallantry Decorations.The names of those persons upon, or on account of, whom, a decoration may be conferred by the President will be published in the Gazette of India together with full citations for the Param Vir Chakra and Ashoka Chakra and brief citations for the remaining awards. These awards will thereupon be notified through Army Orders and Unit Orders.
681. Presentation of Medals and Decorations. (a) The procedure for Presentation of Medals and decorations will be as follows:
(i) Param Vir Chakra and Ashoka Chakra will be presented by the President immediately before the Republic Day Parade on 26 Jan. Along with decoration, a scroll signed by the President setting out the deed or deeds of valour will be presented to the recipient (or next of kin for posthumous award).
(ii) Other decorations namely the Param Vishisht Seva Medal, the Mahavir Chakra, the Kirti Chakra, the Ati Vishisht Seva Medal, the Vir Chakra, the Shaurya Chakra will be presented by the President at a formal