Brief History

On 21 October 1910 Lieutenant Colonel S.H Powell reported at Shimla to coordinate the raising and training of the new signal units. By November, serial numbers had been allotted to the companies and the commandants selected. Powell conferred with the commandants-designate at Shimla in January 1911 and it was agreed that the Northern Army companies, Nos. 31 and 32, would be raised at Ahmednagar on 1st March. The nucleus of the Wireless Company, designated as No.41, was to start its life at Roorkee, also on 1st March. These were but temporary stations; 31 Company was to serve the 1st (Peshawar) Division at Rawalpindi and Murree; 32 Company was to take over the Central Signalling School at Kasauli; Quetta was to be the station for 33 Company serving the 4th (Quetta) Division; the Central Signalling School at Poona was to be taken over by 24 Company which, however, remained at Ahmednagar and conducted the Signalling classes there; 41 Company was to be located with the Cavalry School at Saugor.

The Corps of Signals is presently organised into Officers and JCOs/ OR. Unlike Officers who can be universally employed viz Communication, Administration etc, the other ranks are organised into various trades like Foreman of Signals (FOS)& Yeoman of Signals (YOS) etc. The other ranks are employed only within their respective fields. The Corps is organised structurally into various regiments and companies. Each brigade has a Signal Company commanded by a Major/ Lt Col associated with it, which are further under comd of divisions and Corps Signal Regiment, commanded by a Colonel.