AEC TRAINING COLLEGE AND CENTRE, PACHMARHI

VISION : To be Centre of Excellence in Human Resource Development, in the fields of Strategic Foreign Languages, Military Music, Map Craft & Instructional Methodology so as to optimize the effectiveness of the Army in both Peace and War.

Army Educational Corps Training College and Centre, Pachmarhi has its origin dating back to 24 Apr 1921 when on being sanctioned by Army HQ, India, Army School of Education was established with two separate wings, namely, the British Wing at Wellington and the Indian Wing at Belgaum. In 1924 General HQ India decided to amalgamate the two wings under one commandant in view of the economy drive of the government and to establish a centralized control over both wings of the school. Accordingly, the British Wing was moved from Wellington to Belgaum on 11 Nov 1924 to form the Army School of Education India, Belgaum.

Another historical development took place in Oct 1939 when the Army School of Education, India moved from Belgaum to Pachmarhi to cope with the war time education. AEC Centre and School was redesignated as AEC Training College and Centre after it was affiliated to Dr. Hari Singh Gaur Vishwavidyalaya, Sagar, in 1961. This affiliation marked the introduction of degree courses. On 26 May 1985, the College attained the status of an Autonomous College. As per the policy of the Government of MP, the jurisdiction of University of MP was restructured on geographical proximity and thus wef 1995, this autonomous college was affiliated to Barkatullah University, Bhopal.

Brief Info on Pachmarhi

Pachmarhi is a scenic hill station situated at an altitude of 1100m on an isolated plateau in Mahadeo hills of Satpura Ranges in Hoshangabad district of the state of Madhya Pradesh. The highest point of the region is Dhupgarh at the height of 1,350m. Pachmarhi meaning ‘Five Huts’, derives its name from a complex of five caves in the station, believed to be one of the places where the five Pandava brothers sojourned during their wanderings. Archaeologists, however, claim that these caves are of Buddhist origin and probably form a link between Sanchi and Ajanta. Prior to the annexation to the British Empire, the region was the kingdom of the Gond tribe King Bhawut Singh and Pachmarhi was the capital of this tribal dynasty.

The credit for discovering Pachmarhi, for modern habitation, goes to Capt J Forsyth of the Bengal Lancers who visited the place in 1857 as the head of a column of troops sent along the old caravan route from Narasinghpur to Nagpur to prepare a report on the area. The last quarter of the nineteenth century found the township developing as a sanatorium and later as the summer capital of the erstwhile Government of Central Provinces and Berar. Pachmarhi has also been the home for Army School of Musketry which was established in the year 1874. The Pachmarhi was amongst the four firing ranges of British India. The Small Arms School was established in 1920. UNESCO added Pachmarhi to its list of Biosphere Reserves in May 2009.

The nearest railhead is Pipariya; a small station on the Itarsi-Jabalpur rail route which is 54 Kms away. The nearest airport is at Bhopal which is 219 Kms by road from Pachmarhi.