Brief History

General

MCTE conducts Telecommunication and Information Technology courses for Officers, JCOs and Other Ranksof the Army. Students from friendly foreign countries also attend courses here. Since Jul 2000, Gentlemen Cadets of the Technical Entry Scheme for all Arms & Services are being trained as Engineering graduates.

The Genesis

Right upto Independence, the Signals Corps was officered by individuals from the Royal Signals trained in UK. During the period 1933-40 the Indian commissioned officers were trained at STC Jubbulpore and Army Signal School, Poona. Besides, the specialist training was imparted at Telecommunications School at Agra and Communication Security School (Cipher) at Mhow. A Signal Officers Training School, as part of the STC (British) Mhow, trained cadets commissioned into the Royal Signals as well as the commissioned officers of the Indian Signal Corps during the years 1940-46. (This was the first training institution set up at Mhow, with the Inf School coming up later in 1948.) 

 

All the above institutions, except Army Signal School Poona, were amalgamated at Mhow on 1st Oct 1946 to form the Indian Signal Corps School. After Independence it was renamed as School of Signals on 25th Jun 1948. The School was organised 

 
School flag unfurling (01 Oct 1946) by the then

SO-in-C, Maj Gen RFH Nalder

 

to train YOs (No. 1 Squadron), Tech Training (No. 2 Squadron) and Cipher training (No. 3 Squadron). Within a few months, the squadrons were renamed as Coys.

  Officers with the Indian Signal Corps School as on 01 Oct 1946

  

 

Sitting Lt to Rt : Capt E Davis, Capt FH Perrin, Maj S Khurana, Lt Col HL Lewis, Maj Gen RFH Naldar, CB, CBE, DSO, MC, Maj RG Baker, Maj F Prince, Capt (TMO) WE Green, MBE, Capt RK Vats.

Standing Lt to Rt: RSM Bray, Lt CLM Harding, Lt J Williams, Capt M Denton, Lt John Alam, Lt M Bedall, CaptGopinath, Capt (QM) F Spearpoint, Capt A Quellin, Capt JBS Brabham, Capt D Sarker, Lt AP Bhateja.

By early 1949, the establishment was revised again and the Indian Signal Corps School was redesignated as the School of Signals.In 1952 Army Signal School Poona also moved from Poona to Mhow and retained its separate identity till 1st Jul 1953 when it was absorbed as part of the School of Signals. The Wings were redesignated as Tactical, Technical, Cipher and All Arms Wings.

Consequent to national emergency in 1962 a requirement was felt to give pre-commission Signal training to cadets from the Indian Military School (now IMA). Thus, an additional 'cadets' wing came into existence in Feb 63 as an affiliate to Tactical Wing. It was later called YOs Wing. (It is interesting to note that in 2000, i.e. 54 years later, a Cadets Training Wing, that trains GC's to become officers, has once again started functioning under the aegis of MCTE).

On 1st Oct 1967 the School was redesignated as Military College of Telecommunication Engineering and Tactical and Technical Wings became the Faculty of Combat Communications (FCC) and Faculty of Communication Engineering (FCE) respectively. Graduation from School to College in 1967 also saw addition of Technical Maintenance and Training Aids Wing and the QM Wing. With the advent of computers, the Faculty of Computer Technology and Systems was added in Feb 1971.

The Alma Mater of all Signal Officers, MCTE is the seat of learning and trend-setter for the Corps and the Army in all matters of trg on Comns and IT. It has trained personnel of all arms and services as also from Navy and Air Force in combat communications, Electronic Warfare, Communication Engineering, Computer and Information Technology, Regimental Signal Communications and Cryptology.