WAR MEMORIALS

 

 

 

SUMMARY OF GALLANTRY AWARDS

Operations Param Vir Chakra Maha Vir Chakra Vir Chakra
1947-48

05

48

285

1962 02 08 29
1965 02 26 94
1971 02 27 127
TOTAL 11 109 535

WAR MEMORIALS

VEER SMRITI, CHANDIMANDIR

Veer Smriti, the War Memorial of Western Command, commemorates the sacrifice of the valiant soldiers who were martyred in the glorious battles fought by the Western Command of the Indian Army. The names of the Martyrs have been inscribed on the main memorial as also on the backdrop on granite. The busts of all PVC winners of Western Command have been put on pedestals around the lawns. The surrounding lawns of this monument have granite plaques exhibiting the highlights of some of the landmark battles of Western Command. Wreath Laying Ceremony is held at Veer Smriti on Vijay Divas, Command raising Day and other occasions.

DBN WAR MEMORIAL

Dera Baba Nanak (DBN) War Memorial is located in town of Dera Baba Nanak which is near the International Border with Pakistan in the Gurdaspur district of Punjab. The Memorial was built to commemorate the victory of DBN Brigade in Indo-Pak War of 1971. During the war the Brigade was tasked to capture the strategically important double decker rail –road bridge over Ravi River. The operation, codenamed ‘OP AKAL’, was successfully executed and the Formation was awarded the Battle Honour of Dera Baba Nanak and the gallant men of awarded three Maha Vir Chakras, seven Vir Chakras, 15 Sena Medals and 14 Mention in Despatches. The black granite structure was built in the year 1972.

SARAGARHI MEMORIAL

Saragarhi Memorial Gurudwara has been built in the memory of 21 Sikh soldiers of the 36 SIKH Regt who fell in heroic defence of Fort Saragarhi in Waziristan on 12 Sep 1897 which was under attack by 10,000 Pathans. The 36 SIKH Regt was raised at Ferozepur on April 1887 under the command of Col Cook. The Regiment was sent to Fort Lock Hard of which Saragarhi and Gulistan were important posts. On the morning of 12 Sep 1897 about 10,000 Pathans surrounded Saragarhi and opened fire after taking positions within 1000 yards of the fort. At that point in time there were only 21 Sikh soldiers present in the fort. Despite the knowledge that there would be no reinforcements, these soldiers retaliated and fought bravely. The battle continued for seven hours during which the Sikhs fought valiantly despite their fast depleting numbers. The supplies were limited but the brave Sikh soldiers continued to deny the enemy. The Pathans offered the token of surrender to the Sikh soldiers but they preferred death to surrender in the face of the enemy. In the end the leader of the brave band, Havildar Ishar Singh was left alone. Havildar Ishar Singh the only man alive and unwounded out of the fearless band of soldiers took his rifle and sustained the fight calmly and steadily by placing himself in the front of a doorway leading from the room into which the enemy had forced their way. Unconquered even in death the Sikh War cry rang from his dying lips in defiance of the foe. Every year on 12th September a religious congregation is held in the morning, while a reunion of Ex-servicemen is held in the evening. The memorial Gurudwara at Ferozepur was built at a cost of Rs 27,118 by the Army authorities to honour these brave soldiers. The Gurudwara was declared open in 1904 by Sir Charles Pevz, the then Lieutenant Governor of Punjab.

BROWNLOW’S PUNJABIS WAR MEMORIAL

The war memorial of the 20th Duke Cambridge’s Own Infantry (Brownlow’s Punjabis) was built in the memory of soldiers who laid down their lives in the Great War in France, Mesopotamia, Egypt, East Africa and frontiers of India. This is situated at the Golden Arrow House Crossing at Ferozpur.

THE BARKI MEMORIAL

The Barki Memorial was constructed in 1969 to commemorate the memory of the soldiers of the Golden Arrow Division who made the supreme sacrifice on the battlefield in 1965. Their sacrifice paved the way for the fall of Barki, a town sit at a distance of 15 miles South East of Lahore. The foundation stone of this memorial was laid by Lt Gen Harbakhsh Singh, VrC on 11Sep, 1969 and unveiling ceremony was performed by Lt Gen HK Sibal, MVC. The memorial which now forms a part of Saragarhi Complex has a pillar in the centre, a Patton tank, a Barki mile stone on the South and a water fountain on the North. The pillar is 27 feet high and is built of red and white sand stone and granite. The mouldings and relief carvings are of classical Indian architectural style. The fountain symbolically denotes that the memory of those who laid down their lives.

SEHJRA MEMORIAL

The Sehjra memorial was constructed at Ferozepur to commemorate the capture of Shejra by the Golden Arrow Division during the 1971 War with Pakistan. On 04 December 1971, 48 Infantry Brigade was ordered to capture the Sehjra salient and deny Mehdipur-Sehjra to the enemy in the Khem Karan sector. During the 1971 War, Sehjra salient was earmarked as the first offensive task of the Golden Arrow Division. The task was accomplished successfully against all odds. Besides 82 Prisoners of War, the captured weapons including four 7 Pounder Anti-Tank Guns, two 106mm RCL Guns, four 3 inch Mortar, 18 Medium Machine Guns and 132 Rifles along with 17 military vehicles. For this meticulously planned and precisely executed operation the Formation was awarded Battle Honour “SEHJRA” and earned six Vir Chakras and six Sena Medals.

WAR MEMORIAL: VI KING EDWARDS OWN CAVALRY

This memorial was constructed in the memory of Indian Officers and men of VI King Edwards Own Cavalry, who laid down their lives for their country during 1914-1918. It is constructed with red stone and cemented material, engraved with the names of all personnel killed/missing/killed accidently/died of wounds or disease. It is situated at the Golden Arrow House Crossing at Ferozepur.

TIGER WAR MEMORIAL

The Tiger War Memorial is located near Jhurmut TCP Gate at Satwari Cantonment in Jammu. It was constructed by 104 Engineer Regiment in 1989 and is dedicated to the brave and gallant soldiers of the Tiger Division who laid down their lives in defence of their Country.

BALIDAAN STAMBH , JAMMU

The memorial located at Bahu Wali Rakh, Jammu, is constructed in the memory of personnel of the Armed Forces, Para Military Forces, Police and Civilians who laid down their lives for Jammu and Kashmir. The memorial has a magnificent tower with an eternal flame and is surrounded by water bodies. Beside being a revered venue for holding all ceremonies and function of national, historical and military significant, the War Memorial is conceived as a bridge of Military – Civilian harmony, recognition and respect. The project was conceived in 2003 by then Chief of Army staff, Gen N C Vij, PVSM, UYSM, AVSM, ADC and inaugurated on 24 November 2009 by the Hon’ble Chief Minister of Jammu & Kashmir. It is a towering structure which is visible from most parts of the Jammu city.

BLACK ELEPHANT DIV CENOTAPH

The “Black Elephant Division” was raised on 01 Sep 1940 and is the pride of the Indian Army. The Division has proven its mettle over the years be it during World War - II, Hyderabad in 1948, Indo-Pak war of 1965 or during flood relief operations in Patiala district during 1993 and 2004. As a step to enhance civil military liaison, a strong desire had been expressed for quite some time to co-locate the Patiala State Force Memorial and the Black Elephant Division Memorial. Thus was conceived the basic idea and concept of “CENOTAPH” meaning “a monument build in the memory of soldiers killed in war who were buried somewhere else”. In Sep 2005 the Black Elephant War Memorial (Cenotaph) was co-located with the Patiala State Forces Memorial.

PUNJAB STATE WAR MEMORIAL

The Punjab State War Memorial was conceived not only as a monument to commemorate the martyrs from the State of Punjab but also to provide facilities for intellectual pursuit. The Memorial’s Central Monument consists of a 50 feet high monumental pillar in white marble and red sand stone on hexagonal platform under which the sacred soil collected from all the villages of Jalandhar District was laid. On the sides of the hexagonal raised platform, the names of gallantry award winners since 1947 have been engraved on black granite stone. Around this altar, a platform of red sand stone with benches has been provided. The monument stands independently as a symbol of sacrifice and pride. The annual Armed Forces Flag Day function is held at the War Memorial complex every year to pay homage to the War Heroes in a befitting manner.

J&K STATE MEMORIAL

The memorial located at Jammu, is constructed in the memory of Armed forces Personnel, Para Military, Police, and Civilians who laid down their lives for Jammu and Kashmir. The memorial has a magnificent tower with an eternal flame and is surrounded by water bodies. Besides being a revered venue for holding all ceremonies and function of National, Historical and Military significant, the said war memorial is conceived to become a bridge of Military – Civilians harmony, recognition and respect


CENOTAPH WAR MEMORIAL

The ‘Cenotaph’War Memorial is a public monument built to honour martyrs killed in battles outside the country.The war memorial complex houses two cenotaphs namely ‘The Northern Cenotaph’ and ‘The Southern Cenotaph’. The Northern Cenotaph is dedicated to ‘Patiala State Forces’ soldiers who attained martyrdom during Afghan wars and World War I and II. The Southern Cenotaph is dedicated to the martyrs of Black Elephant Division / Indian Army who laid their life during the Second World War, Operation POLO – 1948, the Indo–Pak war-1965 & 1971 war and Operations such as Op MEGHDOOT, PAWAN, RAKSHAK, VIJAY, RHINO, PARAKRAM & FALCON.

BLACK ARROW NARACH WAR MEMORIAL

1. Black Arrow Narach War Memorial is tribute to those martyrs who laid their life during Indo – Pak 1971 Basantar battle. Formation sign ‘Narach’ stands for strength, determination, single - minded resolve & accuracy of thought & deed.
2. The foundation stone of this war memorial was laid down on 03 January 1985. It was finally dedicated by Gen A S Vaidya, to the nation on 11 January 1986 to commemorate and honour the soldiers who gallantly fought the Basantar battle. A moving Remembrance Parade to honour their sacrifice is held each year on Basantar Day celebrations on 16th December and Armour Day celebrations on 1st May.

PRERNA STHALWAR MEMORIAL

To celebrate the supreme sacrifice of our martyrs for the country, ‘PrernaSthal’War Memorial was constructed in the Kala Ground and inaugurated on 16 May 2015. The memorial stands testimony of the chequered history of Joint Service Wing (JSW)which was set up in Clement Town. Kala Ground, which used to be the Drill square of JSW bearing its signature mast, has been maintained well as the present day Drill Square for the garrison. The ground has been brought back to its past glory by placing a 46 feet flag mast to replicate the erstwhile Quarter Deck of JSW. One end of the area has been converted into a memorial to remember the martyrs who laid down their lives in service of the nation.

GOLDEN KEY: HERITAGE HALL

A heritage hall has been created in the Golden Jubilee year to preserve the history of the 14 RAPID Division and the cantonment of Clement Town in the last 50 years. The hall attempts to display the rich and glorious past of the formation by means of a picture and movie gallery which will serves as an inspiration to the future generations.

BIRPUR WAR MEMORIAL

On 26 May 1905, 1/9 Gorkha Rifles& 2/9 Gorkha Rifles commenced occupation of Birpur high ground. Birpurvillage located next to it was transformed. Birpur War Memorial was immediately constructed and unveiled on 09 January 1930.Birpur was established as 9 Gorkha Rifles Regimental Centre on 16 November 1940. Later Birpur came to be known as 39 Gorkha Training Centre. 39 GorkhaTraining Centre moved to Varanasi in January 1976 &Birpur was handed over to 116 InfantryBrigade. Naming ceremony was performed on 10 September 1988 by Major General KM kariyappa, GOC 14 Infantry Division.

LAL GATE MEMORIAL

In the annals of military history, the Lal Gate Memorial holds a unique place. This beautiful red-brick structure is designed & built as a semi-circular archway with two pillars, all in red brick, reminding of the Red Fort in Delhi. LalGate Memorial pays historic tribute to the gallant soldiers of Gorkha Rifles Regiment who sacrificed their lives during World War – 1 and 14 RAPID (S) gallant soldiers who became immortal during Indo - Pak War 1971.

The unit is also proud of L Nk (Hony Capt) Sripati Singh, who was awarded a Vir Chakra during the 1971 war. The Regt has developed and inaugurated a children park and community centre called the Konark Sripati Park for families and children of Shikargarh Cantonment, Jodhpur. We were honoured to have Hony Capt Sripati Singh, VrC inaugurate the Park himself.

Infantry day celebrated at Tripeak Brigade on 17 Oct 17. Cdr, Tripeak Bde paid his tribute to all martyrs at war memorial.