HERITAGE BUILDING

10 PRINCE OF WALES DRIVE

BUNGALOW NO 10 ON THE PRINCE OF WALES DRIVE (WANWORIE LINES) HAS BEEN IN EXISTENCE SINCE 1853. CAPT NC ANDREW WAS THE FIRST OCCUPANT OF THE BUNGALOW. IN 1909, THE BUNGALOW WAS OCCUPIED BY MR SORABJI JIWAJI. IN 1917, THE PROPERTY WAS REQUISITIONED BY THE CANTONMENT AUTHORITY (UNDER SECTION 8 OF THE CANTONMENT HOUSING ACCOMMODATION ACT) FOR THE OCCUPATION BY LT RS GUPTA OF THE INDIAN MEDICAL SERVICE, AT MONTHLY RENT OF RS 30/-. IN 1922 THE BOMBAY GOVT PURCHASED THE BUNGALOW FOR RS 50,000/-. THE GOVT OF INDIA, MINISTRY OF DEFENCE RESUMED POSSESSION OF BUNGALOW IN MAY 1971 BY PAYING RS 70,784/- AS RESUMPTION COMPENSATION.
THE BUNGALOW WAS THERE AFTER ALLOTTED PERMANENTLY TO MIL INT TRG SCHOOL & DEPOT AND BECAME THE OFFICIAL RESIDENCE OF THE COMDT.

KRISHNAMOORTHY HALL/TAGORE LIBRARY

• KRISHNAMOORTHY HALL WHICH ALSO HOUSES TAGORE LIB WAS CONSTRUCTED IN THE YEAR 1846, AT A COST OF RUPEES TWENTY FOUR THOUSAND SIX HUNDRED AND FIFTY TWO. THE BUILDING WAS PROVIDED ELECTRICITY CONNECTION IN 1929. KRISHNAMOORTHY HALL WAS USED AS A LECTURE ROOM AND ACCOMMODATION FOR FORTY SIX OTHER RANKS OF ARMY VETERINARY SCHOOL BEFORE IT WAS TAKEN OVER BY MIL INT TRG SCHOOL AND DEPOT IN 1952. THE BUILDING WAS NAMED AS KRISHNAMOORTHY HALL IN 1994 IN MEMORY OF LATE LT COL K KRISHNAMOORTHY, VSM, COMMANDING OFFICER 96 CIU WHO LAID DOWN HIS LIFE IN J & K DURING OP RAKSHAK.
• THE LIBRARY OF MINTSD REFERRED TO AS TAGORE LIBRARY IS HOUSED IN HERITAGE BUILDING. IT HAS BEEN NAMED AFTER RABINDRANATH TAGORE (1961-1941) THE NOBLE PRIZE WINNER FOR LITERATURE 1913.