Home->Organisation->Arms and Services->Army Ordnance Corps->Crest
  Organisation

Army Ordnance Corps
 
Evolution of AOC Crest
 

1855     The crest was adopted in the 15th century and was in use till 1855. It carried on the riband at the bottom the motto “Sua Tela Tonanti” in Latin which means ‘’To The Thunderer- His Arms”.


1896
     In 1896 Queen Victoria approved the War Office recommendation that the Shield of Arms, be incorporated in the badge of the Army Ordnance Department instead of the Crest, Supporters and the Motto and also that the Corps be granted the privilege of the use of a part of their arms of the ancestors, as the main motif of the their emblem. The two badges, so created, one for the Army Ordnance Department (Officers) and the Army Ordnance Corps (Soldiers) were of a similar design, differing only in the wording on the scroll. The other ranks badge had ‘Army Ordnance Corps’ on the scroll while the officers just the one word ‘Ordnance’.


1918
     Some twenty four years later, in 1918, in recognition of the Corps having acquitted itself with distinction during World War I, King George V granted the prefix ‘Royal’. The new title was to be the Royal Army Ordnance Corps, and as such it then embraced both officers and other ranks. This amalgamation led toa complete redesign of the badge, incorporating the Garter and the Tudor Crown.


1922
     With the erection of the IAOC the Corps badge was changed once again and was a direct descendant of the badge used by the Indian Ordnance Department. Three cannon balls and three field pieces mounted on a shield and the whole surmounted by the crown with a scroll at the bottom, with the inscription ‘Indian Army Ordnance Corps’.


1954
     The new badge of the Army Ordnance Corps was adopted in 1954 after India became a Republic. It consisted of a round shield above two crossed swords, a scroll with the inscription ‘Army Ordnance Corps’, the whole surmounted by the national emblem. On the shield are emblazoned three cannon balls over three filed pieces, one before the other. The shield and the sword are an exact reproduction of those depicted in the crest of the Hoysala Kings of ancient India (950AD).

1978      A change in scroll of the crest was adopted. The newly adopted motto was scripted with ‘Shastra se Shakti’ in Hindi.

      
This is the Official Indian Army Web Portal,maintained & managed  by the Indian Army.
Site hosted by NIC.
Site best viewed in IE 6.0 and above