Home->Organisation->Training Establishment->Army Establishments->MCEME
  Organisation

Army Establishments
 
MCEME
 

In July 1946, numbers 4, 5, 8, 9 and 10 IEME Training Centres were amalgamated and reorganized to form IEME School at Kirkee commanded by a Lieutenant Colonel in the area previously occupied by 4 IEME Training Centre. The first officer to command this School was Lieutenant Colonel RHYS Jones (REME). The School was then organized as Headquarters and three technical wings viz, General Engineering Wing for vehicles, Armament and Instrument Wing and Telecommunication Wing. In addition, the School had a Cell attached to 1 Engineer Equipment Workshop IEME, Kankinara to train other ranks on Engineer equipment.

 

The School was controlled for all purposes by the DME except for local administration. Officers and other ranks who opted for Pakistan left the School in the latter half of 1947 and were replaced by personnel from Chaklala. In January 1949 there were 27 young officers and nine officer cadets undergoing basic (two months) course and eight officers undergoing training in Armament and General Engineering Wing. The first Engineer Equipment Mechanics Course was run at the Engineering Equipment Cell at Kankinara in 1951.

 

In 1948-49, when the Directorate of Technical Training was formed in Military Training Directorate, the School was classified as a Category 'A' establishment. The control, less that of local administration, became the responsibility of the Military Training Directorate under General Staff Branch. The School during training year 1951-52 trained 107 officers, 68 Junior Commissioned Officers (JCOs) and 463 Other Ranks (OR). In 1952 it was decided to move the School to Secunderabad. Colonel PSG Trivedi assumed command on 31 December 1952 as the first Indian Commandant of the School and moved the School to Secunderabad.

 

A number of minor alterations were made to the buildings to make them suitable for use as an instructional institution. An old barrack was converted into Officers' Mess which later became the Corps Officers’ Mess. The open air theatre was built in 1957 and a number of other major works projects were initiated for the School to make up deficiencies in offices, instructional blocks and living accommodation. The foundation of the present day library and Corps Archives and Museum was laid by then DEME, Major General Harkirat Singh.

 

The quality of training was also improved during this period by laying emphasis on production of training literature and training aids. A number of training films were procured for the first time. The training output for 1957-58 was a total of 1,228 all ranks. In pursuance of the then DEME's directive on training, the syllabi of long technical courses were revised to lay emphasis on theory and engineering practices in design of equipment. This ensured that the students acquired a sound technical background to meet new challenges posed by gradual introduction of new sophisticated equipment in the Army and great developments in engineering technology in the fifties.

 

In keeping with this concept, the nomenclature of the courses for officers were changed. General Basic Officers' Course was re-designated as the Young Officers' Course; Telecommunication Officers' Course as Advanced Electronics Engineering Course; Armament Officers' Course as Advanced Armament Engineering Course and the General Officers' 'A' Vehicles Course as Advanced Mechanical Engineering Course, with generally longer durations.

 

Peace Establishment of the school was revised in June 1960, increasing its capacity to train 800 students at any one time as against the earlier capacity for 640 students. The command of the School was raised to that of a Brigadier and authorised a staff of 52 officers and 949 all ranks including civilians.

 

The requirement for proper management of resources to meet the needs of the field army, both in peace and war, had been under discussion for some years and a need was felt for formal management training. One of the most significant decisions in 1960 was the setting up of a Tactics and Management Wing at the School. The credit for initiating teaching of modern management techniques in the Indian Army belongs to Corps of EME. EME School had the honour of being the first school of instruction in the Indian Army to start such a course.

 

The school was upgraded to the status of a college in 1967 and renamed as Military College of Electronics and Mechanical Engineering with three faculties viz, Faculty of Electrical and Mechanical Engineering (FEME), Faculty of Electronics(FEL), and Faculty of Industrial Engineering and Logistics Management(FILM). In 1972, FILM was reorganised and renamed as the Faculty of Industrial Engineering and Tactics (FIET). A new faculty, Faculty of Aeronautical Engineering (FAE) was added in 1986 to train officers and personnel below officers rank in order to meet the challenges confronting the Corps of EME due to formation of Army Aviation Corps. In the year 2000, a Cadets Training Wing was added to train Gentlemen Cadets of the newly introduced 10+2 Technical Entry Scheme (TES).

      
This is the Official Indian Army Web Portal,maintained & managed  by the Indian Army.
Site hosted by NIC.
Site best viewed in IE 6.0 and above