The Corps Museum

The Corps Museum enables us to educate officers and men visually through objects that are associated sentimentally with the historic achievements and developments of the Corps. There does not exist any official record of the existence of a Corps Museum till 1948. It is known that No 1 Technical Training Regiment of 1 STC did possess a few pieces of antique signal equipment. In 1956, the Corps of Signals Committee considered a proposal to sponsor a case for the establishment of a museum. This was finally sanctioned and the Corps Museum came into existence in 1959 at 1 STC in a building which was being used as a living accommodation for the Indian commissioned officers during the British era.

The construction of the new Signals Museum building was commenced on 23 Apr 04 and was completed on 11 Feb 2006. The Museum was inaugurated by Lt Gen Davinder Kumar, AVSM, VSM Bar on 13 Feb 2006. Purpose, The Corps Museum has been established with the purpose to strengthen the regimental spirit and spirit-de-corps in the younger generation, to make all ranks aware of the history of our Corps.

A variety of items of pride and historical interest are on display in the Museum, like the flags used by some of the Signal Regiments during battle, medals and decorations obtained from Signals personnel and portraits and photographs of the distinguished Officers/JCOs and OR in the past. The uniforms and other items like swords and spurs are also displayed in the Museum.

The Museum has a number of original manuscript documents of historical importance. Many photographs of historical and sentimental value are on show. The items of equipment used from time to time in the Corps as also those captured during the Second World War, 1965 and 1971 Operations against Pakistan and Op Pawan in Sri Lanka are some of the main exhibits in the Museum.

One of the attractions in the Museum is Command Vehicles High Power (CVHP), 'The Drona' and ‘The Bhishma’ with bullet holes and scars from the battlefields in Africa and Italy. The latest acquisition in the Museum is ICL-1904 computer which was the first computer installed at Army Headquarters Computer Centre. The Museum has been registered with the Indian National Trust for Art and Cultural Heritage (INTACH) in July 2000. The name has also been included in the Directory of Museums in India (2000-2001 edition). The Govt of Madhya Pradesh has also registered it as a Non-Govt Organisation on 11 January 2001. The Corps Museum is one of the best of its kind in the Indian Army.

The museum has the following halls and is organized as under :-

(a) Reception
(b) Heritage
(c) Signals in Ops
(d) Valour
(e) Equipment
(f) Leaders and Helmsmen
(g) Reunion and Archives
(h) Captured Equipment
(j) Sports
(k) Adventure
(l) Audio Visual

Corps of Signals Museum was renovated on the occasion of Centenary Celebrations and 14th Reunion. A lot of new work has been carried out in the Museum which include new murals, new graphics, colouring of the Foyer etc. A new corner in the memory of Late Lt Gen K Balaram, PVSM our former Col Commandant has been created where in flags, mementos, artifactsetc of the General officer has been placed.

Time Capsule

A Time Capsule in Corps Museum has been set up on the occasion of Centenary Year on 15 Feb 2011, where in various relevant documents pertaining to our Corps like the Corps of History books, write up on Centenary Celebration, write up on Sports and Adventure activities conducted on occasion on Centenary, Evolution of the present Communication System (Static & Tactical Comn and futuristic Communication Philosophy, Teevra Chaukas etc has been placed. The Time Capsule in made up of stainless steel and the documents are preserved inside. It will be opened in the year 2061 i.e on 150th year of the Corps.